Simple Roast Chicken
Delicious recipe from BGE and adapted by Greenfield Services.
A delicious recipe prepared on the Big Green Egg, tried and tested by us all at Greenfield Services.
• 1 chicken 1.5-1.8kg (bought to room temperature)
• Coarse Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Big Green Egg BBQ Rub- We used Down & Dizzy.
1. Bring the chicken to room temperature.
2. Light the EGG ready for indirect cooking with the plate setter feet up and stainless steel grid resting on the legs. Heat to 200 C.
3. Rinse the chicken under cold water and blot dry with paper towels and generously season with salt & pepper.
4. Concentrating on the breast, rub the chicken with olive oil and push the down and dizzy rub until the chicken is covered.
5. Add the Drip Pan onto the Plate Setter too collect the drippings Place the chicken on to the stainless steel grid.
6. Cook for approximately 1-1/2 hours, after 30 minutes, start basting the bird with the juices that accumulate in the drip pan.
7. Roast until the internal temperature between the thigh and cavity registers 165F or 74C on a digital thermometer.
8. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for about 5 minutes before carving the bird.
Tips & Techniques:
Always use a digital thermometer for total accuracy when cooking poultry. You are aiming for 74C / 165F. Never guess.