Korean fried chicken
Recipe by Greenfield Services by Karen.
A delicious recipe prepared on the Big Green Egg tried and tested by us all at Greenfield Services!
Ingredients for the chicken:
• 500g chicken wings
• Large chunk of ginger, finely grated
• 50g cornflour
• Vegetable oil, for frying
• Sesame seeds and sliced spring onion to serve
For the sauce:
• 6 tbsp dark brown sugar
•2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
•2 tbsp soy sauce
•2 large garlic cloves, crushed
•small piece ginger, grated
•2 tsp sesame oil
1. Set up your EGG for indirect cooking with the plate setter feet up and the cast iron grid on top of the legs, get the temperature to 200C.
2. To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer gently until syrupy, roughly 3-4 mins. Take off the heat and set aside.
3. Season the chicken wings with salt, pepper and the grated ginger. Toss the chicken with the cornflour until completely coated.
4. Heat about 2cm of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.
5. Fry the chicken wings for 5 mins until crisp. Turning halfway. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper. Leave to cool slightly (around 2 mins)
6. Brush on sauce onto chicken and place on cast iron grid, brush the other side and continue to cook until cooked through.
7. Once cooked, any remaining sauce can be brushed on.
8. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced spring onions, serve!