Flat Breads & Houmous
Delicious recipe from Marcus at BGE and adapted by Greenfield Services.
A delicious recipe prepared on the Big Green Egg, tried and tested by us all at Greenfield Services.
Ingredients for Houmous:
• 3 tins of Chickpeas
• 4 tablespoons of Tahini
•1 1/2 lemons
•2 gloves garlic
• Olive oil
• Salt to taste
Ingredients for Flat Breads:
• 350 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
• Sea salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 350 g natural yoghurt
• Garlic infused olive oil
1. Set up your EGG for indirect cooking with the plate setter and stainless steel grid directly over the coals. Get the temperature up to around 200C. Soak your Hickory Chips for around 15 minutes then scatter over the hot coals.
2. Place the rinsed chickpeas and 2 garlic cloves in the porcelain coated tray on top of the stainless steel grid for 15-20 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas and garlic into food processor with squeeze of 1 ½ lemon, 4 tablespoons of tahini, a splash of water (approx. 50ml) and a good glug of olive oil (approx. 100ml) add salt to taste.
4. Increase your Egg temperature to around 250C and place your baking stone on top of your stainless steel grid- this needs to head for at least 20 minutes prior to baking.
5. Add all the flatbread ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon, then use clean hands to pat and bring everything together.
6. Dust a clean work surface with flour, then tip out the dough.
7. Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together (this isn’t a traditional bread recipe, so you don’t need to knead it for long – just enough time to bring everything together).
8. Put the dough into a floured-dusted bowl and cover with a plate, then leave aside for 30 minutes.
9. Dust a clean work surface and rolling pin with flour, then divide the dough in half, then divide each half into 6 equal-sized pieces (roughly the size of a golf ball).
10. With your hands, pat and flatten the dough, then use a rolling pin to roll each piece into 12cm rounds, roughly 2mm to 3mm thick. Brush garlic infused olive oil on one side.
11. DON’T FORGET TO BURP YOUR EGG!
12. Place rounds oiled-side-down on baking stone and cook until browned on underside, 2 to 4 minutes.
13. Brush tops with additional garlic-thyme oil, turn rounds over with tongs and cook until browned on second side and cooked through to center, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
14. Remove to cutting board. Cut into pieces and serve with houmous.